Dental Implant Restorations
Missing teeth can make you feel self-conscious, affect your speech, limit what foods you can eat, and more. Dental implant restorations are an amazing way to replace missing teeth and reclaim your smile!
WHAT IS A DENTAL IMPLANT?
A dental implant is a small titanium post placed into the bone of your jaws. Titanium dental implants are extremely strong, readily accepted by the human body, and have a long history of success over several decades in both dental and orthopedic surgeries. Crowns, bridges, or other restorations can then be attached to the dental implant (or implants) to replace missing teeth and restore function and esthetics.
HOW ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS USED AT UPTON & BAKER DDS?
Depending on your specific situation, our Wake Forest general dental office uses dental implant restorations in a variety of different ways:
- To replace a single missing tooth, we can attach a crown to a dental implant
- To replace an area of multiple missing teeth, we can attach a bridge to dental implants
- To stabilize loose dentures, we can anchor and stabilize them with dental implants
- To replace all a patient’s teeth with a prosthetic that does not come out of the mouth, we can attach a special full-arch restoration to dental implants
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS?
- Dental implants have an average success rate of 95%, meaning they are an excellent and long-lasting treatment option.
- Dental implants stay in your mouth and do not come out when you are eating or talking.
- Dental implants (and their crowns) are very esthetic and can be made to closely resemble your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are made of extremely strong materials that cannot get cavities or tooth decay.
- Dental implants prevent the recession of gum tissue and bone if an area is missing the natural tooth. Unlike bridges, dental implants also require no modification or treatment of adjacent teeth.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF GETTING A DENTAL IMPLANT?
The exact specifics of the dental implant process vary from case to case based on several patient factors, but a general timeline is:
- Clinical and radiographic examination to discuss all options and decide if dental implant therapy is the correct treatment modality.
- Placement of the dental implant with one of our trusted local specialists (usually a periodontist or an oral surgeon).
- After a healing process, we proceed with a painless impression of the dental implant to begin fabricating the replacement crown, bridge, or other restoration.
- Attachment of the crown, bridge, or other restoration to the implant. You can now chew, speak, and smile with your replacement tooth or teeth!
AM I A CANDIDATE? ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS RIGHT FOR ME?
Our skilled doctors will assess your mouth and overall health to decide if dental implant treatment is a good option for you. Aside from patients with severe bone loss or very specific health issues, dental implants are a wonderful and long-lasting treatment option.
If you’re curious whether dental implants are the right option for you, schedule a consult with Dr. Upton or Dr. Baker today to discuss your specific situation.